We’re fortunate at Questacon that affirmation of a job well done can often be seen through the smiles on our visitor’s faces and from their engagement with our various exhibitions, programs and shows. That our staff and volunteer’s efforts have also received recognition by our peers and other professionals is a special honour. Here are a few we’ve received recently.
Questacon Director, Professor Graham Durant and General Manager - Operations, Lorraine Neish proudly show off our 2009 Qantas Australian Tourism Award in the category of Tourist Attraction. Questacon also received this award in 2007, 2005, and 2002-03.
In 2006 we received the Prime Minister's Award for Excellence in Community Business Partnerships. Russell Caplan, Chairman, Shell Companies in Australia, along with Sue Stocklmayer, Director of the National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science at the Australian National University, were on hand with our Chairman, Leon Kempler, and Director, Professor Graham Durant, to receive the award celebrating the partnership between our three organisations.
Questacon's Neil Hermes receives the 2004 South Australian Premier's Award for Excellence for our Burarra Gathering online exhibition. Presenting the award are the South Australian Premier and Minister for Education.
- Education and Public Engagement Award to Shell Questacon Science Circus from the IMAGinE Awards, 2010
- Significant Tourist Attraction from the Canberra & Capital Region Tourism Award, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, and 1999
- Best Tourist Attraction from the OutInCanberra and Australian Hotels Association Hospitality Awards, 2009
- ACT Volunteer of the Year Award to Questacon Volunteer Explainer Gail Kerr, 2006
- USA Today Hotsite awarded for the Questacon CSI multiplayer online game, 30 December 2004
- Corporate Partnership Award from The Australian Financial Review Magazine, 2004
- USA Today Hotsite awarded to the Burarra Gathering online exhibition, 3 July 2003
- Exploratorium's Ten Cool Sites Award for Educational Excellence for the Burarra Gathering online exhibition, June/July 2003
- NRMA Science & Technology Volunteer of the Year Award to Questacon Explainer Jenny Wanless, 2002
- Macromedia Site of the Day for the Questacon Virtual Tour, 29 May 2002
- Alta Vista Award for Best URL from the Scinema Science Film Festival, 2001
- Business and Higher Education Round Table (B-HERT) Award in the category Education & Training, 2000
- Outstanding Achievement in Collaboration in Education and Training for the best partnership between an educational institution and a large business, 2000
- Best Game or Interactive Title AIMIA Award for the Ingenious CD ROM, 1998
- Best Educational Title Atom Award for the Ingenious CD ROM, 1997
- Eureka Prize for "the public promotion of science", ABC, 1992
- Major Tourism Attraction from the ACT Tourism Awards, 1990
- Community Communication Award from the Public Relations Institute Australia (PRIA), 1990