Attention aspiring innovators! Unleash your creativity to create wonderful and weird solutions to enter this exciting award, supported by the National Measurement Institute and Questacon! The NMI-Questacon Student Measurement Award is open to Australian student individuals or teams (of up to 4 members) in grades 5 to 10.
Whether it's inventing new ways of measuring things, using new types of measurement equipment or exploring the measurements in your environment, this is your chance to make an impact. Apply now!
Your application should showcase something you’ve done involving measurement. It could be measuring something more effectively, measuring in a new, different, or experimental way or applying measurement to discover something new about the world around you.
|31 July 2023, 5pm AEST||Closing date for applications|
|11 August 2023||Finalists notified|
|18 August 2023||Winners announced during National Science Week|
- All entries should be submitted via video submission. Entries will be judged based on video entries.
- If entering as a team, there is a maximum of 4 participants.
- Videos should not exceed 2 minutes.
- All participants must submit a signed media consent form.
- Children of NMI and/or Questacon employees cannot be included in an application for these awards.
Video submission rules
- Submissions should be uploaded to YouTube. Set the Privacy Settings of your video to ‘unlisted’.
- Submit the following to email@example.com by 5pm on 31 July:
- YouTube video link to your completed submission
- Signed media consent forms for all participants
- Names of all participants.
Entries will be assessed by a panel against the following criteria:
- Science communication
If you’re not in grades 5-10, you can still apply for an NMI award, including:
- The Barry Inglis Medal, for sustained contributions to Australian measurement science and/or Australian metrology;
- The NMI Measurement Impact award for measurement-related achievements demonstrating real-world impact;
- The Measurement Achievement Encouragement Award for measurement-related achievements by early to mid-career professionals. In 2023, NMI welcomes entries with a Trade and Industrial focus or aligned with the National Science Week theme ‘Innovation: Powering Future Industries’;
- The People’s Choice Award, which is determined by audience vote at the National Science Week event.
All winners of the NMI Awards will receive a trophy and a prize, ranging in value from $250 to $2,000. You can find more information on how to apply to these other awards on the NMI’s website.
We are working with the National Measurement Institute to support this Award which helps young people to develop the skills, knowledge, and agency to thrive.